The vision for the cheerleading program is excellence in the coaching staff and cheerleaders in every area and giving the leadership and athletes an opportunity to fulfill God’s calling; an endeavor that will bring glory to God.
There are two scriptures that provide the foundation for a successful program. The first is found in Philippians 1:10,
“So that you may surely learn to sense what is vital, and approve and prize what is excellent and of real valve [recognizing the highest and best, and distinguishing the moral differences], and that you may be untainted and pure and unerring and blameless [so that with hearts sincere and certain and unsullied, you may approach] the day of Christ [not stumbling nor causing others to stumble]” ( AMP).
The second scripture contains the words of Jesus who exhorts us to
“Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16, AMP).
The goal of the cheerleading program at Victory Christian School is to let Christ’s light shine through each cheerleader and coach in an excellent way, releasing God’s love to family, friends and community for His glory.
This vision translates into three actions: support, witness and outreach
Support. Cheerleaders at Victory are expected to support and promote the athletic teams (boys and girls) by the following actions:
1. Attending all sporting events scheduled by the cheerleading coach.
2. Being active in leading cheers that promote and generate school spirit.
3. Coordinating and inspiring vocal participation of the supporters at all contests.
4. Coordinating and developing a unified student body through creating enthusiasm at pep assemblies.
Witness. All cheerleading squads are expected to be a strong witness of Jesus Christ in every aspect of their life. This requires a commitment form each squad member to:
1. Take the opportunity to share Jesus Christ and the Word of God whenever the Spirit brings such an opportunity.
2. Carry out the Great Commission found in Mark 16:15-20.
3. Maintain a consistent prayer life and devotional time of reading the Bible as a part of their daily walk.
4. Purpose to edify and encourage one another.
Outreach. Victory Christian School uses cheering as a means of outreach to the community. Outreach provides an opportunity for the release of the love of God that is inside each cheerleader. Consider planning a number of activities for this ministry. For example:
1. Game situations: Both on and off the field or court to fans and other cheerleading squads, we expect Victory cheerleaders to be leaders in the school.
2. Competition outside the school: (District and State and ORUEF)
· Cheerleaders may compete in outside competitions as long as these events do not conflict with a regularly scheduled school athletic event.
· Excellence in cheerleading is expected. With this excellence come opportunities to minister God’s love in the world of cheerleading. What better opportunity than for cheerleaders to reach other cheerleaders with the good news of the Gospel of Christ and to be living testimonies of His love.
3. Special Community Outreaches: Ministry to the community is a vital ingredient in letting the light of every cheerleader be seen and felt. Victory cheerleaders will plan no less than one ministry outreach to the Tulsa Dream Center.
Varsity Cheerleaders 2010-2011
Junior Varsity Cheerleaders 2010-2011